- Don’t drink large amounts of water with meals: You can sip on water with meals, but try not to consume large amounts of water 15-30 minutes before or after meals. The water dilutes your digestive juices, making digestion more difficult.
- As a natural digestive enzyme try 1 TBSP of apple cider vinegar in a little water before meals.
- Supplements: If ACV isn’t cutting it, add a digestive enzyme before each meal (like Bio-Gest from Thorne or SpectraZyme Metagest from Metagenics). Other supplements at Ravita that could help - UltraGI Replenish to provide necessary prebiotics and heal the gut and probiotics to replenish the gut.
- Targeted Probiotics: IBS - Pick up Ultra Flora IB, General digestion/ maintenance - Ultra Flora Balance, Coming off of antibiotics - Ultra Flora Restore. Stop on by Ravita for more information about the target specific probiotics we have in store!
- Warm/ room temperature water with lemon first thing in the morning jumpstarts your digestive system!
- Try cooked or steamed vegetables instead of raw: Raw vegetables can be hard on the digestive system, especially if you already have weak digestion. Lightly steam your vegetables before consuming to help your digestive system break down your food before you even consume it.
- Remove food intolerances/ foods that cause inflammation: Food intolerance testing available at Divine Elements or try an elimination diet to rule out the suspected culprits.
- Eat fruit away from meals: Food combining 101. Eat fruits away from meals and preferably with a fat (like almond butter) to slow the absorption of the carbs.
- Eat in a relaxed environment: Your body can’t digest your food if it’s stressed. Take at least 3 cleansing deep breaths before meals.
- Manage your stress: To go with the last point, stress plays a huge role in digestive function. If you’re struggling with stress or anxiety it’ll take a toll on your digestive system. Along with healing your gut, this needs to be a top priority!
If you have any questions please ask!
Alison Smink R.H.N.