It’s not a mystery why proper sleep is important for your health. But what can we do about it when sleep evades us?
Here are some tips to help you get some shut eye:
- Magnesium - Insomnia is a common symptom of magnesium deficiency. Maintaining healthy magnesium levels often leads to deeper, more sound sleep. It also helps the body relax. Magnesium increases GABA, a neurotransmitter that promotes sleep. Magnesium rich foods: green leafy vegetables, avocado, banana, legumes, brown rice, oats, dark chocolate (to name a few). We also carry some great magnesium supplements at Ravita.
- Melatonin - if magnesium alone isn’t cutting it, give melatonin a try. We have a great blend of magnesium, melatonin, and GABA that works on all levels. It relaxes your muscles, while calming the mind. I personally use this product and swear by it!
- Turn off devices close to bedtime, or at least wear some blue light blocking glasses. There's also a great app for your computer called f.lux that adjusts the screen brightness (and adds a slight yellow hue, working similarly to blue light blocking glasses) depending on the time of day.
- Yoga, meditation, and relaxation - Ever heard of ASMR? It stands for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response. It can cause a tingling sensation that typically beings on the scalp and moves down the back of the neck. Some describe it as “low-grade euphoria”. There are different things that can trigger ASMR, such as whispering or tapping. I use this tool to fall asleep every night.
- Acupuncture - this service is offered at Divine Elements. Call us for more information!
- Or try EFT Acupressure - Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) is sometimes called psychological acupressure. It’s based on the same meridians used in traditional acupuncture. It can help remove negative emotions, reduce food cravings, reduce or eliminate pain, and/ or implement positive goals. There are two basic things to learn: tapping locations and positive affirmations. Tap the points with the fingertips of your index and middle fingers. The tapping points in order are: top of head, eyebrow, side of eye, under eye, under nose, chin, collarbone, underarm, and wrists. It’s important to create a sentence that acknowledges the problem and creates self acceptance. An example of this sentence: “Even though I have this [blank], I deeply and completely accept myself." While you are tapping repeat this to yourself.
- Lavender essential oil - aromatherapy is another great technique for promoting relaxation and sleep. Lavender oil may increase time spent in deep, slow-wave sleep.
- Limit caffeine - that extra cup of coffee might sound like a good idea when you’re feeling that 3 p.m. slump, but it could be affecting your sleep. If you’re a caffeine drinker, try limiting caffeinated beverages to the morning only.
Recommended products from Ravita:
- Magnesium Sleep Matrix
- Melatonin B6 - When melatonin is coupled with vitamin B6, melatonin biosynthesis, secretion and absorption is enhanced
- Relax Matrix
Alison Smink, R.H.N.Continue reading